Re: CF: Answers to Scott Yelich's questions

> > (1) What is pray?  Holy word? Deities and gods? and Altars?

> Praying is how you gain Grace, which is the "fuel" for priest spells.
> Praying on an altar consecrated to your god lets you gain grace above
> your normal maximum.  Without praying, your grace will only regenerate
> to half-maximum.

Ah! Is that why my grace is always 2 of 5.  Nevermind that the altars
seem to be random (ie: I still haven't found one for jehovah as was
suggested ina few messages back).  Normal maximum, ok...  but how do I
*increase* my grace permanently?  I have prayers that need like
60 grace, but I have only 5 -- same as with spells?  Seems lame
that I will need to get 120 grace (I figure that's like level
30 or something) ...

I have holy word, but it just says a random spirit ignores
my prayer (or something) which I took to mean that I had
to find an altar for jehovah and do something (as of yet
undetermined).

> Priest spells are "prayers", which are different from praying.
> Holy word is a priest spell, which causes damage to enemies
> of your god and no one/nothing else, which means you can
> kill monsters with it without touching their equipment.
> Very nice.

That's the rumor!

> > (2) How do I make my sp go up?  They seem so low
> > that I can't kill things to get experience?
> sp?  You mean maxsp I suppose.
> sp goes up with time, with quaffing magic potions, and by using
> a power crystal.  sp regen is retarded by wearing armor.

> maxsp depends on your Pow stat, and your level.

ah, ok.  I wasn't so much worried about that, but at level 7
magic I have 40+ sp.  Now I'm level 8 and I can't seem to
harm things with magic before I either have to run away
or clobber them with a physical attack.

I haven't watched too closely... but it seems that experience
is an all or nothing bonus.  That is, hit something 3 times with
magic (so that you're all out) and then hit it once with a sword
and kill it, you get physical experience.  Was there ever a
discussion into turning damage directly into experience (or
was that hinting at the strength of the opponent? I vaguely
remember something about that).

> > (3) How do I apply a scroll of weapon bonus?
> > It always says weapon not prepared?

> You use the Prepare Weapon scroll first.  THEN you can apply the
> other scrolls.

Aha!  Strange that I have seen one of these.  Perhaps I need to
look closer.

> > (4) Why do wands not give magic experience when
> > they are used to kill something?  Why can't
> > spells such as fireball go over water?
> > Why don't my pet monsters attack all enemies?
>
> Basically, because someone at some point decided that players
> shouldn't get magic experience for using wands/rods/scrolls:  they considered
> it abusive.  A low-level player can gain rather a lot of experience with
> little risk by using a wand of large fireball, for instance.

*GRIN*  Right.  Although, I did just find my favorite
experience map in navar city.. now, with the ship "back door"
out of scorn, I can take a new char up many levels quickly.

> > (5) what is alchemy?
>
> The conversion (using a cauldron, the alchemy spell and a recipe) of
> raw materials into useful items.  You can make things like dusts which
> act like wands:  they cast spells.  However, the advantage of alchemically
> made stuff is that the spells don't have the MAGIC attacktype set.
>
> So for example, if you used many dusts of conflagration on beholders,
> you could kill them.  Beholders are immune to magic.  You can also
> make arrows of slaying, or Assassination (which are instant killers
> if they hit).

Ah! ok.  I thought I read something on this list about making
piles of garbage and running alchemy on it.  It kind of
reminded me of polymorph -- but as I recall, polymorph
would reduce the value of the item each time until it
basically became a flower or something worthless.

> > (6) How do you search and disarm traps?
> > This I bound "s" to "search" and "d" to disarm
> > and I hit "s" and then "." 50 to 100 times
> > and then when I apply to open the chest, a
> > trap goes off.
>
> Hit s 50 to 100 times, not .  THat is what I do
> and it works.  You won't find ALL traps:  some are too difficult
> for your level.   Work your way up to hard traps by first finding/disarming
> easy ones.  I think searching requires mental experience, and disarming
> requires agility experience.

Right!  I just [re] discovered this again. :->
Thanx.

> Want to get involved in documenting stuff?  Keep asking questions
> and write the answers up.  Give what you have to Mark.  But first,
> make sure your questions aren't answered in the existing documentation
> someplace.  Look in the doc directory of the server distribution.

Yes and no.  Mostly, I was just wondering if I missed
something fundamental *in* the game.  Most of the books
seem to wither be useless or beyond my ability to read.

Thanx!

Scott