Re: CF: Answers to Scott Yelich's questions

> > Wow, you either need potions in a big way, or you need to kill
> > lots of stuff with mage spells and priest spells.  For maxgrace,
> > you need Wis and Pow, while for maxsp, you need only Pow.
>
> Hey, don't chastise me...  I didn't create this -- I don't even know
> where it comes from:

> That is ring (speed +1) (dam+10) (ac+15) (sustenance+25) (magic+10)
> (regeneration+35) (Pro: physical, magical, fire, electricity, cold,
> confusion, acid, drain, weaponmagic, ghosthit, poison, slow, paralyze,
> turn undead, fear, cancellation)(Attuned: Frost) (worn).  It is made of:
> iron It weighs 0.020 kg.  You would get 13038 platinum coins, 3 gold
> coins and 8 silver coins for it.

Wow.  That's some ring.  Actually, it looks like something I hack up
and give to my test characters by using crossedit or editing a player
file.  It is amazing.

> > Use more effective spells.  If you're shooting magic bullet at them,
> > and just one magic bullet, it won't hurt most monsters that much,
> > if you're fighting decent monsters.  You might have to fire 3 or 4
> > small fireballs to kill some creatures, and really tough monsters
> > might require you to empty your fuel tank.
>
> Well, it's just that my HP doesn't seem to go down (ie: see
> above ring), yet, my sp takes a looooong time to come back up.
> I'm going to try to go without armor (I have ac -64 with, and
> ac -45 without armor).

Quaff a bunch of Pow potions, until they don't do anything, then find
items with Pow bonuses.

> > Anyway, do the rest of you see what I mean about making crossfire too
> > hard?  Beginners don't have the expert knowledge we developers do....
>
> Well, I was just thinking more help/hints in the game
> with some idea on WHERE to get these hints.  I *love* the idea
> of random maps, since with so many buildings closed, it can
> get annoying to try to find some place to explore.

There's resistance to the idea of having too many random maps, or
filling empty places with random maps by default, because then
"real", human-defined maps become needles in haystacks.

> guess which method normally scores the kill?  I do try to use the
> appropriate magic so it's not that I'm using the wrong spell/type.

Insufficient maxsp then.  See above.

> > Enchanting weapons is really for high level characters, IMHO.  You're
> > better off trying to find something nice.
>
> Well, I'm trying to learn the game without dying...
> so I've accepted a few "gifts"

I, uh, see.  Get your friends to give you some stat bonuses too.

Normally, I like to load up on Pow at the expense of everything else.
I love firing spells at things.  But this in turn means that my fighting
abilities decline, since I'm optimizing Pow over everything else.

> 2x- ring (speed +1)(dam+10)(ac+15)(sustenance+25)(magic+10)(regeneration+35)(
>Pro: physical, magical, fire, electricity, cold, confusion, acid, drain, weapo
>nmagic, ghosthit, poison, slow, paralyze, turn undead, fear, cancellation)(Att
>uned: Frost) (worn)    0.0
>   - long sword +17 (wielded)                 0.0
>   - plate mail +15 (worn)                    0.0
>   - full helmet +3 (worn)                    0.0
>   - high shield +14 (worn)                   0.0
>   - jack boots +2 (worn)                     5.2
>   - gauntlets +2 (worn)                      1.4
>   - amulet (reflect missiles) (worn)         0.5

These are just amazing.  Did you know that wearing plate mail and helmets
reduces spellpoint regen?  And also weilding heavy stuff like shields/
swords/plate mail reduces the success of your spells?  (Do you ever
get messages like:  "Your spell failed because of all the heavy equipment
in use."?)

> I know the last time I played the game, I
> enchanted my own weapon to like +7
> and then it started to say no more or
> fizzle or something.

Heh, as intended.  -45 AC is overkill. Lose at least the helmet.

PeterM