Re: CF: Map integration (was Dtabb land)

Mark Wedel (mark@icp.siemens.com) wrote:

> happen - new map set with yet another disconnected island from everything
> else - this makes it easy for new map designers (don't have to integrate),
> but starts to loose cohesion when you have 30 different island places
> out there.

It probably depends on the map --- it can be an advantage, too.  For
example, I didn't connect Grey Island via the ship as the map
designers suggested, since that makes it too easy to reach the place.
Instead I've put a "mini quest" into the main maps (Navar city) --- you
have to find grey island first. I just considered grey island to be
a hidden kingdom.

I guess I'll have to redesign the mini quest, though --- too many
people come from other servers and they never stumble across the new
mini quest because they don't know it's there :-(

Also, "integration" often isn't desired at all --- for example, why
should everybody in some town talk about some _secret_ place where
ugly things are happening? Or why should there be "go left for the
secret lab" signs? :-)
This is even true for a set of maps --- if you kill the great master of
something, why should he have a map with him that tells where to use
that key he has? He knows it --- and he won't tell you. Maybe he even
has his secret treasure chamber way across the world, in some dungeon
that might look disconnected at first, because there is no "get the
key from the great master of something" sign.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber