Re: CF: CrossEdit

Scott Wedel on  wrote...
| Anthony Thyssen wrote:
| > Most important feature missing from crossedit I can see is a
| > layering mechnism.  EG:  `effects layer'. ground, layer. walls. monsters
| > etc etc etc.
| >
| > Each of each can be made visible or invisible, with one layer editable.
| > EG: all layers visible but ground layer editable, then you can lay all
| > the ground flooring and modify them without disturbing anything else.
| >
| > the layers however should be arbatry.  Prehaps some edit comments
| > also stored in the map for the next time you go to edit that map.
|
| I don't see any clear definition of a layer.  I would envision
| a window displaying all the items on a square (including those
| in containers and such) which is edittable.  So one could insert
| or modify any part of a square without having to take care to have
| the desired layer as the currently editable layer.

That would be very slow for quickly (and artistically) adding/replacing
a floor underneath all these objects, or the map. I would have to
pick square, insert floor, pick square, insert floor.
(You have to do this with the current editor!!!)

With layers, I could pick a layer that holds the floor to be editable
and then just sweep the map with the floor arch I had picked, without
disturbing all the other objects.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
  Applications Programming is a race between software engineers striving
  to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
  to produce bigger and better idiots.  So far, the Universe is winning.
                                     -- Rick Cook, ``The Wizardry Compiled''
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au