Re: CF: client inventory bugs

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, "Preston F. Crow" wrote:
> There are several bugs regarding client management of the inventory.
> You often will get items that appear in your inventory even when they are no
> longer there.  For example:
>  * Amulet of Lifesaving stays there after it has been used
>  * Items stay there after being dropped to trigger an altar
>  * Items stay there when dropped, but only sometimes (perhaps when dropping
>    two items that are merged when they are dropped, but weren't before as one
>    wasn't initially identified.

It looks like the items stay in the inventory if you drop all merged
items at once (i.e. you drop an object that has a count greater than
one) and they are somehow used by something.  For example, if you
drop some money on a magic table (detect magic, detect curse or
identify) and you still have some coins left after that, then
everything will be fine (count correctly decremented).  But if all
your coins are used, then the coins will still be visible in the
client's inventory, with the old count.  The same happens when you
drop food or other objects on an altar, and I think that I have also
seen that with special keys, and maybe even when putting stuff in a
container.  But do not remember having problems when dropping objects
on the floor.

In summary, it looks like the problem occurs when an object with a
count greater than one should disappear from the inventory for some
other reason than being dropped on the floor.  I cannot test this right
now because I am not at home, but I will try to investigate this a bit
deeper on Thursday when I come back from my business trip.  Unless
somebody identifies and kills the bug in the meantime.

-Raphaël