Re: CF: Step #1 of Perl/Tk client

Christian Stieber wrote:
> However, the question I have is: is _anyone_ working on a client
> that will allow _more_ people to play crossfire? Such as a M$-Windows
> client or a MacO$ client? Wouldn't this be much more useful than a
> weird client collection? The Java client seems to be the only one
> that has the potential to serve as a client for people that don't
> have clients for their platform, but native clients are always better.

The GTK client should provide a good base for a Windows client.
This should give better results than the Java client, because
GTK+ has a more direct access to the Windows interface and can
make much nicer-looking interfaces.  And the nice thing about
using GTK+ is that most of the code would still be common to the
UNIX and Windows platforms, so it would not be necessary to
maintain two separate code bases.

GTK+ for Win32 is not completely ready yet, but I think that it
will be ready very soon, because the GIMP can already work
reasonably well under Windows.  Take a look at:
  http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32/  (Finland)
  http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/  (US)

By the way, it would be nice to distribute the GTK client with
the same GTK theme as the one featured on the second screenshot
that you can see on these GIMP-Win32 pages.

-Raphaël