Re: CF: Aligned Weapons

Scott Wedel wrote:

> Dave,
> A good idea.  Though instead of automatically calculating it's
> attributes for aligned, neutral and enemy religons, it might be better
> to allow defining an item specifically for each alignment.  So it could
> be a glowing object when equipped by a member of same religon, but
> nothing special if held by unaligned and a cursed item or a massively
> nasty situation if held by enemy.  The point is that item creator
> would be able to define the item's attributes for the various alignment
> possibilities as compared to writing code to handle a particular
> scheme of altered attributes.
>
> As a general rule I think it is far better to put all info into the
> item/monster/map definitions and avoid having code involved with
> making automatic calculated adjustments of such definitions.  CF code
> should be limited to handling the interactions between the various
> items.

    That makes sense.  It would make the objects a bit more complicated, but
much more versatile.  If I understand what you're saying, the artifact would
have default stats for unaligned players (or servers without Multi-Gods),
and sub-objects to apply to itself depending on the religion of the user.  I
guess the definition might look something like this:

Allowed sword
Object Valriel  (easy example)
type 15
magic 2
slaying devil
value 30
msg
  This magic sword glows with a
  pure light that no devil can
  tolerate.
endmsg

neutral
msg
  Each time you swing this sword
  you imagine it sounds vaguely
  like a chorus singing praise
  to Valriel.  Devils must really
  hate that.
endmsg
endneutral

aligned
wc 2
dam 15
attacktype 2113537 (physical, fear, light)
msg
  This holy relic is a gift from
  Valriel to assist his righteous
  heroes in banishing from this
  world all of Gorokh's minions.
endmsg
endaligned

enemy
wc -2
dam 5
damned 1
msg
  You get the impression that
  this sword really hates you,
  personally, and followers of
  Gorokh in general.
endmsg
endenemy

end

--
            -Dave Noelle,                 dave@Straylight.org
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org

Disclaimer:
This has been a public service announcement brought to you by the makers of
Fat-Free Nutra-Sweet Coated Decaf-Coffee Crunch cereal!  New and Improved
with "I Can't Believe It's Not Lard"(tm) synthetic fat-substitute!

Quote of the Day:
Favorite Error Message #3:
A)bort, R)etry or S)elf-destruct?