Re: CF: map exit with multiple destinations

Peter Mardahl wrote:

> Well, this requires a lot of map work.
> I could easily incorporate more spellbooks into my quest maps,
> as I have done for "summon pet", and "summon elemental" spells, which
> are located in the Tower of Demonology.
>
> If we remove spells from general circulation as we place them in maps,
> we should add hints to their locations and existence, like the
> comet spell is hinted at in Goth's Tavern.
>
> We should also make them commented on in the random scrolls, and add
> more of these to treasure lists, so that, nethack style, a player can
> learn about the world while exploring mazes.

 The idea wasn't as much to remove them from random circulation, but to have
known locations for some of the harder to find spells.  These spells could still
show up in random generation, but if for example you have been unlucky so far
and have not found the dimension door spell, you could go to the
interdimensional research center at get it there.  To actually get it may be as
simple as paying a good amount of money.

> I think these spells are good candidates for quests:
>
> medium/large snowstorm and fireball
> create bomb
> color spray (if this isn't a quest already)
> destruction (though I consider this a useless spell)
> improved invisbility
> restoration
> dragon breath and large icestorm (both presently quests I think)
> build director
> xray
> and all of the various cause disease spells (none of which are in
>        the game now)

 My hope with the redesigned object layout is to make spells more generalized.
If you think back to AD&D spell parameters, do something similar like:

 Spell type (ball, cone, touch, adjacent area, single space)
 Attacktype (fire, magic, cold, etc)
 area of affect (diameter of ball when it blows, distance the cone goes,
how many spaces to search)

 Then will the normal spell parameters (level, spell point cost, cleric/mage,
damage, etc)

 This then allows new spells to be added by just making/changing an object.
Want a ball of chaos spell?  Take the fireball arch and change a few values
(attacktype, face, and perhaps things like level or whatever)

 Perhaps the spells will also be reduced some - add an increase_affect_rate
value which determines how much faster the spell gets bigger.  So there may just
be one fireball spell, but for high level people it is affectively a big
fireball, where as for low level people, it is a small fireball.

 The casting stuff would probably need to be changed, so a player can specific
an effective level they want to cast at (so a 30'th level person could cast the
fireball as 6'th level to get a smaller area of affect)