Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: CF: Newbie questions about priest cults

Sean McInerney (sean_mackie@hotmail.com) wrote:
> Looking over the gods and there benefits/penalties I chose to worship
> Lythander, mainly for the immunity to confusion.

Bad choice. The best way to choose a god is
a) discard all gods that have serious penalities (like no armor, no
   healing, a large avatar etc.). Some people like them as challenge
   gods; I think they are just plain useless.
b) select the god that has the most powerful enemies

Depending on the server version this makes you a follower of Jehova or
a follower of whatever god has "demon" as enemies (IIRC they split
Jehova into two, one with undead and one with demons as
enemies). Undead probably is a reasonable second choice (it should
give you demiliches). Giants would be number three (titans and
wizards; esp. the grandmaster of flowers), unless they added a
god with dragons as enemies.

However, anything but demons makes it _very_ hard to max out your
wisdom experience, unless you know what you are doing (killing
Jessies with an avatar is somewhat tricky/difficult).

IIRC Lythander gives you trolls --- but there arenīt any powerful
trolls around.

The new demon-killing god is a little difficult to get started
with, but since you are already at overall level >20 it shouldnīt
be too much of a problem.

> But after I did this I can still become confusded (which really
> pissed me off).  Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening.

"Immunity" is usually only granted when you cast the "holy possession"
spell. None of the normal gods give permanent immunities (donīt know
about the challenge gods).

You get immunity to confusion anyway as your overall level goes up,
and you can cast spells when confused(!) --- so you can always cast
"cure confusion".

> Also I am wondering about gaining levels for my priest spells. I am
> level 29 overall but I still have 0 exp as a priest.  Is the only
> way to gain to start by going around casting cause light wounds on
> weiner mobs?

You have to kill monsters with priest spells. This includes cause
minor wounds, or "holy word" (to kill enemies of your god only).
I donīt remember any other level 1 priest attack spells right now.

> Also I used to play CF like 6 years ago, and I hadn't since.  Just wondering
> if you used to be able to wear 2 amulets, or am I just daydreaming.

Right now you definitely can (your can wear two rings, though). This
has been the case since _at_least_ 0.93.4 (which is my first version).
One version in between had a bug that let you wear any number of objects
of the same type, but that doesnīt really count :-)

Christian