CF: Problem compiling client

Hello,
	I am a new crossfire fanatic (16yrs old today) living in Nesbyen,
Norway. I have downloaded the crossfire server and client
(crossfire-0.95.4.tar.gz,  crossfire-client-0.95.4.tar.gz) so that I can
play on our home network (S.u.S.E 6.2). However, I'm having problems with
compiling the client.

When I typed "./configure" I got the following:

----
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for mkdir... /bin/mkdir
checking for tar... /bin/tar
checking for makedepend... /usr/X11R6/bin/makedepend
checking for cp... /bin/cp
checking for rm... /bin/rm
checking for perl... /usr/local/bin/perl
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for gtk-config... no
checking for GTK - version >= 1.0.0... no
*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
checking for X... no
GTK not found - building xlib client
Xlibs: -lX11
Extras:
Xpre:
checking for main in -lasound... no
checking for alNewConfig in -laudio... no
checking for sys/soundcard.h... yes
Using OSS sound system
checking for XpmReadFileToXpmImage in -lXpm... no
---

I have never tried to compile and install anything before, so this has
completely confused me. However, I can tell you that, according to my package
manager, I do have gtk ver. 1.2.3-5 installed.

Can anyone guide me?

Yours faithfully,
Paul M. Badham