Re: CF: Race, Reputation and other suggestions

Steven Lembark wrote:
> how about:
>
>         monster has reputation points and level.
>
>         your rep goes up based on monster's rep / ( it's level - your level)
>         with a falloff below zero.
>
> if you're a high-powerd fighter then you are damaging your
> rep. by hacking up kobolds in the newbie tower. if  you hack
> up a bunch of orcs to kill an ancient dragon the net effect
> will be very, very positive.
>
> this kind of helps the issue of people repeating quests also,
> since at some point the lower-level quests will consistently
> damage your rep w/ less and less useful monitary payoff.

 OTOH, I coudl see people intentionally avoiding wimpy monsters (Which they
could easily kill) simply to avoid their reputation from being damaged.  And
that doesn't seem right, especially considering most of the monsters being
killed are likely perceived as evil, and people (shopkeepers and perhaps npc's
more precise, since that is where reputation will be used), probably won't those
creatures killed in all cases.

 That said, a rework may be:

 Things that increase reputation:  Monsters and ends of quests (provided monster
level>player level, otherwise no gain).  Perhaps just completion of quests
themselves and other notable deeds.

 Things that decrease reputation:  Killing other players (needs to be refined so
if they pick the fight, you don't lose out, since I could see some malicious
player starting a bunch of newbie characters just to harass another player),
killing townspeople, completion of perhaps some evil quests.

 The limits that things that adjust reputation to a low level.  I would much
prefer to do that, as then if you find reputation is a bit out of whack, you
adjust the places where characters are gaining/losing reputation.  If instead
you have the possiblity of killing every monster adjust reputation, you need to
try to tweek the formula to get it right, and as I have said before, I would
much rather have things be adjusted in a more concrete fashion setable by map
makers than adjusted by some formula in the code which has wide reaching
consequences.