Re: CF: oddity in the pup_land raffle #2

Hwei Sheng TEOH wrote:

> I think he's talking about a pit that drops items onto the middle of a 5*5 (or
> 3*3) square area filled with buttons. Since (currently) items dropped through
> pits may randomly "miss" the targeted coordinates by +2 or -2, this will
> randomly push one of the buttons. I think this should still be working, unless
> the pit code has changed??

 I can't say for sure what will happen here.  My guess is that exits will put
people exactly where the exit states, and if that has something on it (another
player), will look for other nearby spaces to put the player on.

 However, this (and many other things) are perhaps examples of stuff where maybe
there really should be some special object that makes the random choice.

 For example, have some contraption that has 5 objects, and drops one.  Or maybe
some large pit idea.  I'd have to think about that.

 I know gates are also used for random events (put boulders on top, and they
will roll one of 2 ways, somewhat randomly).

> Feature request: :-) make it possible to set how many times the consumer can
> consume; if set to 0, can consume an indefinite number of times. Or at least,
> have two types of consumers -- one that consumes exactly once, another that
> can consume indefinitely. (That's for pay-to-enter buildings to support any
> number of players simultaneously...)

 In the rewrite, there will not be items with fixed number of charges based on
the item type - instead, that will be held in the object data and be setable.
So if something can have a fixed number of charges, exactly how many that will
be will be setable by the map maker (An example of this already is item creating
items.)