Re: CF: random encounters.

one other thing about random encounters that i played. They always accurred
in the same squares. so i began avoiding those squares. random encounters
act something like the tower of illusions in affect for those who haven't
played with them.

[Mark Wedel]

 >    Those are the reasons to get rid of it.  That said, if it is kept, the
 >   following refinements are probably in order:
 >
 >    1) If there are going to be fewer monsters, instead make it a 1x1
 >   blowup (so that 1 space perhaps becomes a 20x20 map)

Is this to simplify code?  I thought it rather neat that you could
recognize the small scale map.  E.g., the top right of the map would
be all mountains, but the lower left was forest, just as on the world
map.

 >    2) When the encounter map is active, make a link (exit) from the
 >   outside terrain square to the encounter map, so other players can
 >   join in (might already be there)

Yes, this is currently implemented.

 >    3) Have this random encounter map disappear, and the space return
 >   to normal, when all the players have left the map (might also
 >   already be done).  If this is done, the space should probably be
 >   turned into a non encounter space so you won't get an encounter
 >   there in the map resets.

If I died in there, it would be very annoying if my friends couldn't
come to resurrect my corpse.  Let the encounter stay for some time.
It may be removed earlier than next reset, though.

 >    4) Change it so that random encounters are the non default
 >   behaviour (ie, you need to put the random encounter space on the
 >   map to get it - if you use normal grass, forest, etc, nothing will
 >   happen.)  With that change, random encounters are effectively not
 >   used at all until maps get updated.

Definitely.  I think this was the main objections to the feature.

 >    5) As a nice touch, when the map is active, have that image
 >   appear slightly different so other players can know that is where
 >   to go to join in.  When not active, it appears as normal terrain
 >   (this slightly different could be just some read eyes or the image
 >   of a non determined monster type in the terrain on that space -
 >   something generic).
 >
 >    My personal inclination is to let it go away.  But I am curious
 >   how many people actually play with this code and would like it to
 >   stick around, or other people in general would like to see the
 >   second list happen.

I don't play much anymore, but have random encounters turned on and
like to slash around in the forest as a low level character (I'm _not_
a powerplayer like most people here, I don't think I ever has played
past level 12...  (I also turn on PERMA_DEATH)).  I think it would
interesting to replace the implementation with the random map
generator, but it may need enhancements to handle open spaces.

Kjetil T.
-
[you can put yourself on the announcement list only or unsubscribe
altogether