CF: Re: Classes and Races (wereforms)

Keep in mind that being a were(anything) is a curse and should be played
that way. People will avoid you because you are a werecreature and being a
werecreature should have negative consequences.

Maybe:
reduce charisma
when in wereform you would have some loss of control in movement. Not as bad
as if you were confused.

>     It would indeed be a curse if the player didn't have complete control
 > over the transformation, and simply having the shapeshifting skill
wouldn't
 > necessarily give them that control.  It might only be usable a certain
 > number of times per game-month, depending on the player's level.  It
might
 > only work at night, even if they do have the skill to control it.  There
 > might be a minimum amount of time before they can change again,
regardless
 > of skill.  There might be only a chance of success, even if all the other
 > factors are favorable, so the player might have to concentrate for a
while
 > in order to intentionally transform.
 >
 >     The benefit that goes with the uncontrollable shapeshifting into a
 > creature who doesn't make a particularly effective adventurer, would be
 > greatly enhanced hit point regeneration.  Were-forms might be fairly good
 > natural fighters at low levels, but the inability to use anything but
 > amulets and potions in that form is a severe limitation.  There really
isn't
 > anything else I can think of that would work as well for a quadruped as
it
 > does for a humanoid.  Fireborn and Quetzlcouatl players at least have
 > opposable thumbs or talons to aim a wand with, and are presumably capable
of
 > reading aloud, but even if a werewolf can read, what good is a scroll if
 > your vocal cords are temporarily limited to barks and growls?

what if it were a cursed item or disease?  you get poked by a needle and,
voila, next full moon you become a werewolf or vampire for, say, 8 hours.
replace the damned instrument of woe with an instrument of werecurse:  pick
it up and until you drop it you're a were-whatsis [the whatsis portion
chosen by your natural race].

--
  Steven Lembark                                   2930 W. Palmer St.
                                                  Chicago, IL  60647