Re: CF: Opinion poll

    I don't think we should completely change the basic nature of Crossfire
by trying to turn a hackenslash game into an rpg.  I'm definitely in favor
of adding more rpg elements, though.  I've seen several people compare
Crossfire to a MUD recently.  In it's current state, Crossfire is very much
a graphical *Diku* MUD.  There are lots of other types of MUDs out there,
not to mention MOOs and MUSHes, which don't focus nearly as much on killing
stuff.  To the best of my knowledge, Diku is the most hackenslash-oriented
of all MUDs, and that's what Crossfire compares to.
    I think we can add rpg-like features to Crossfire without abandoning the
current neanderthal-mode by simply keeping a number of dungeons, and perhaps
even some quests, the way they are: kill everything and take the loot.  When
more cerebral options are implemented, like NPC's who can converse more in a
manner resembling a three-year old than a dog, and can interact in ways
other than as a password detector, new quests of all sorts can be written to
require something more complicated than "If it can die, kill it."
    What I'm trying to say is, allow role-playing, but don't require it.

--
            -Dave Noelle,                 dave@Straylight.org
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org