Re: CF: Long term experimental ideas

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Doug wilder wrote:

> >From: Hwei Sheng TEOH <hsteoh@cs.toronto.edu>
> >To: crossfire@ifi.uio.no
> >Subject: Re: CF: Long term experimental ideas
> >Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 08:21:26 -0400
> >

> >I'm just wondering, how difficult/easy would it be, in the current state of
> >the code, to implement monster races for players? IMHO this should be the
> >simplest thing to implement, of all the ideas that have come up recently.
> >I wouldn't mind working on some sample start maps for non-standard classes
> >like hill giants, etc..
> >

> One problem with monster races is the icon. Hill Giants can not fit in most
> maps. I wouldn't mind seeing some more options for characters, how about
> Druids.

Hehe, exactly what I had in mind. That's why hill giants would need special
start maps (or special maps in general) that would accomodate their larger
size. I wouldn't mind implementing a hill giant character class... for one, we
can make hill giants more powerful in general, to offset the disadvantage that
they won't be able to fit in many maps. I think it'll be fun designing start
maps that are wide enough to allow smooth movement of hill giants.

Also, while we are on the topic of size, how about implement footprint sizes
instead? So a hill giant could still occupy only one square, just that its
icon uses two spaces. I notice some tall buildings are positioned next to
walls based on their footprint, so you get a nice overlay effect of a tower
extending over a wall. This topic has been discussed before, I just don't
recall any consensus on it.