RE: CF: Long term experimental ideas

-----Original Message-----
From: Hwei Sheng TEOH
To: crossfire@ifi.uio.no
Sent: 9/16/99 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: CF: Long term experimental ideas

<snip>

Hmm. If we implement footprints instead (as in my just-posted mail) this
shouldn't be a problem. A hill giant's footprint still covers only one
square. The only thing is, if we start getting into larger monsters, we'd
need to do something to fix this problem. (Larger monsters may not have
single-square footprints).

For one, I'd *really* like to be able to play a large monster. Like a
Dread or something. Perhaps for some monster classes we can even have a
ranking system, like you start out as a beholder, then eventually get
promoted into a Dread, which gives you more innate abilities, etc.. This is
probably out of reach with the current code, but I'd still like to have
something like this in the future. I think it's just so much more
interesting when players can play the monsters (and I'm talking about
monsters in general, not just a select few), not just the traditional
humanoid classes. There are enough games out there where you can play as a
humanoid character. Time to have something new.
-----Begin Respone-----
Tell it, brotha'!  :)  The same "ranking system", as you call it, occured to
me.  Am I correct in assuming you're not a programmer?  If not, how about we
make that your task.  Go through all of the available creatures, and map out
promotion ramps.  I.e. Beholder to Dread, Demon to Greater Demon, etc.  See
if you can make three stage ramps.  If such isn't available, (like, there
are only baby electric dragons and mature electric dragons), start filling
in new intermediate stages, like adolescent electric dragon.  Come up with
appropriate names and numerical attributes and spell improvements and post
'em.  We'll pick 'em apart, shred 'em, pick at meaningless nits until you're
frantic, but it'll get done faster that way than it is now.  'cause not much
but speculation is happening now.
While you're at it, give some thought to our humanoid races.  And bear in
mind the seperation of race and class that has been proposed.  I think
that's going through, eventually.  A Dread Cleric is a bizarre idea, but it
IS a thought.  Maybe denying certain classes to certain races should be
done, as much as I abhore the idea of hard coding such arbitrary limits.  In
any case, the capability of having player Dreads should demonstrate to us
what would happen if the AI for an NPC Dread were made smarter.  We'll
probably uncover loads more imbalances along the way.

DM