RE: CF: Re: Word of Recall and Portal (was: Prot/chaos, Efficiency, and Portals)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Andrew Michael Noelle
To: crossfire@ifi.uio.no
Sent: 9/21/99 9:53 AM
Subject: Re: CF: Re: Word of Recall and Portal (was: Prot/chaos, Efficiency,
and Portals)

<snip>

Which reminds me, is there any particular reason why maps use a
seperate integer for each flag instead of bitmasks like everything
else?  Since the flag operations are macros instead of functions, the
same macros that work for objects would work just as well for map
structures.  I'll try to leave it alone at least until 0.96, but
that's exactly the kind of thing that I feel this compulsive need to
optimize.

<snip>
-----Begin Response-----
Nothing wrong with compulsive optimization, but I still recommend doing it
using a profiler, rather than assuming things.  As I recall, there are
several architectures out there where bitwise operations are slower than
integer operations.  In a memory vs. speed tradeoff where a server is
concerned, I'm inclined to burn the memory.  Also, because of the
multi-platform nature of Crossfire, an optimization on one platform may be a
severe detriment to another platform.  Take it easy with bit-level
optimizations.

DM