AW: CF: New Pickup Code Proposal

Hi
I don't like the idea with the density from 1-x, is anyoing to set them and
with Murphys Law you don't get the item you want.

If you use numbers, you should not use more than 7-10.

Much better is we get some useful strings, like "gold&magic" , "goldonly"
or something like that. We can make all settings with it, 255 values are
really not needed.

Michael

> > The low byte of 'mode' holds the density value.  This does lower the
highest
> > available density filter from 65535 (ish) down to 255.  (this is one
point,
> > in particular, I wasn't sure how high people set this to on an practical
> > basis).
>
>  I usually set it at 10.  In fact, one problem currently with the setup is
you
> have a minimum value density of 8 or so.  It would be better to have one
of the
> bits in the pickup mode toggle if we are on value density so the complete
range
> is available.

Under the code I wrote last night, density can be set anywhere from 0 to
255.

> > Also, this setup removes the "and stop" and "stop before" type features.
> > implement them, we'd have to do away with one of the flags or take a bit
> > away from the density (leaving a max of 127 or even 63).
>
>  Instead of subverting the meaning of the high bits, I think it makes more
sense
> to just add a 'pickup_flags' field to the player structure which controls
this
> information.  I think that will also result in clearer code than grabbing
the
> high bits off the current mode field.

Ok, I'll look at the structures.  On the first pass, I did not want to
change any structure.

The code that I've written is up and running on crossfire.debian.net.
Please feel free (and encouraged) to head there and try it out.  The help
isn't written yet but there is a description in the MOTD.  And please,
provide feedback.