Re: CF: Cone spells for electricity

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Peter Mardahl wrote:

> I already consider electric dragons among the worst threats.
> Being in a lightning bolt is NO fun at all.  My characters fall to electric
> dragons more often than to the others, and it is the lightning bolts
> from skulls which make me fall dead.

I have to agree with you on the skulls, but thats cause you try to run
over em somewhat fast, for example in the 'twirl' in the tower in brest
when trying to run over those beholders and skull, all my instincts say
to back away when my hp starts droping, died tons times trying to do just
that when in a lightning bolt, only too follow the bolt too my doom.

Electric dragons though are quite harmless, electricity does hurt damn
much if you move into one, but these are one of my favorite targets to
get train up spell xp. There are plenty of places where the dragons cant
get at you and you with reflectspell + freeaction stuff you can harmlessly
lob your fire spells at leisure. Not to mention the wonderful elec part
of the dragoncaves(-quest) where you can with a single wellplaced
earthwall use my favorite firebolt to mow down hoards of dragons.

conclusion:bolt = laughable if your gonna spell but deadly if your planing
on going in for melee, but even here one with some quick reactions can
take a step to the side to avoid all but some of the damage from the bolt.

> Anyway, I would prefer not to see complete congruence between all the
> attacks.  Right now, electricity is pretty different in style between
> itself and the other attacks.  Ball lightning is surprisingly deadly,
> and it too is not a spell I like to see turned against me.

Ball lightning is another killer, with those I usually have to check my
scrollback to see what killed me since I never saw the damn thing when it
was on me, and it doesnt take many seconds for one to rip my ass open wide

> If the consensus is that we *need* a cone-like spell, I'd rather see
> a forked-lightning spell than a true cone spell.

cone lightning doesnt really seem too logical to me... =)

// MaK