client 0.95 dies with "Got error on read", other probs

Background:  SuSE Linux 5.3 (Intel x86) came with a number of games,
including one with the rather odd name of "Crossfire".  Since games are
one of the best ways of learning how to use a new system, naturally I
had to check it out.  This was 0.93.something set up for use on a single
system, and it turned out to be an _incredible_ time-waster, especially
once I learned I could run it remotely from my OS/2-based office system
(XFree86/OS2) and see in on a 17" monitor (;-).

Problems:  This week I upgraded my system to SuSE 6.4 (Kernel 2.2.14),
and, while I haven't hit any problems with the OS proper, I have not
been able to get the "new and improved" Crossfire 0.95.4 working.

I'm not familiar enough with the various Crossfire releases to know if
(a) SuSE accidentally bundled a beta release, (b) something in the
upgrade messed up, (c) there actually are one or more bugs in the code,
or (d) Something Completely Different.  In any case, I have not yet been
able to play for more than about five minutes without a failure.

Here is what I am seeing:

 1) Major:  Frequently but intermittly both client and server die.
    This mostly (but not always) occurs when switching maps.  cfclient
    exits from its main loop follwing DoClient() with the message "Got
    error on read (error k), exiting.", where 'k' is usually 0 (but was
    11/EAGAIN on one occasion).

    This error seems to take out the server at the same time.

    I was concerned that this might be a problem with XFree86/OS2
    interaction, but I get the same problem running under the default
    SuSE KDE desktop.

    In browsing the 'net I ran into the archive for this mailing list,
    and noticed that Christian Stieber had reported a similar problem
    back in September of 1998, but I couldn't find any note of a fix or
    workaround.

 2) Serious:  Performance is noticeably worse than 0.93.x.  Movement is
    sluggish, then "bursty", so it is very difficult to react properly
    to on-screen events.  I'm talking about the kind of jerky
    interaction that can (excuse the expression (;-)) get one killed.
    I saw some comments in this list's archive that seemed to indicate
    that this was due to a change in the server-client interaciton, but
    no hints on how to make it better.

 3) Serious:  On several occasions my character would get "stuck" and
    only move north or northeast.  There are any number of places where
    this is Not A Good Thing, leading to death or starvation.

 4) Minor:  The old "single invocation" feature(?)  seems to be gone.
    Not too big a deal (I think) once I get past the other problems, I
    just need to set up a script to fire off the server and client.

So...  hints, suggestions, and pointers to places that might help will
be appreciated.  I am very impressed with the time and effort that has
gone into this piece of software, and, while I suppose I _could_ go back
to 0.93 the new graphics are _so_ much better (;-).

Somewhat-snipped logs from client and server are appended.

Frank McKenney

Client stdio+stderr
-------------------

Could not open ~/.crossfire/keys, trying to load global bindings
Warning: could not convert keysym F28 into keycode, ignoring
---snip--
Warning: could not convert keysym F35 into keycode, ignoring
sh: cfsndserv: command not found
Playing on server type  Crossfire Server

Got update_item command for item we don't have (1725)
Got error on read (error 0), exiting.

Server stdio+stderr
---------------------------------
Reading bmaps from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11//crossfire/bmaps...done (got
3468/3469/3469)
Reading faces from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11//crossfire/faces...done
Reading animations from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11//crossfire/animations...done.
got (712)
Reading archetypes from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11//crossfire/archetypes...
 arch-pass 1...Switching lex buffers
Unable to find animation Lucifer
 Adding friendly object Evil Master, Bonehead.
 done
 Setting up archetable...done
 arch-pass 2...done
done
Welcome to CrossFire, v0.95.4
Copyright (C) 1994 Mark Wedel.
Copyright (C) 1992 Frank Tore Johansen.
Can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/X11//crossfire/shutdown
Reading artifacts from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11//crossfire/artifacts...done.
Initializing spells...done.
Reading races from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11//crossfire/races...
 Resetting race to undead from skeleton for archetype generate_skeleton
 ---snip---
 Resetting race to insect from xan for archetype xandone.
Initializing gods...done.
Initializing reading data...Reading messages from
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11//crossfire/messages...done.
---snip---
Reading skill_params from
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11//crossfire/skill_params...done.
Initialize new client/server data
Waiting for connections...
CS: connection from client of type  X11 C Client
Initializing gods...done.
Can't open /tmp/cftmp.1e00.4
Can't open /tmp/cftmp.1e00.4
Can't read map file: No such file or directory
load_original_map: /city/city
Switching lex buffers
Switching lex buffers
Saving map /city/city
Switching lex buffers
Switching lex buffers
Switching lex buffers
We have not sent item Sebastian (1725)
Fixed inventory in Sebastian (0 -> 158715)
Checksums: 1b216f80 1b216f80
Trying to load map /city/city.
load_original_map: /city/city
Switching lex buffers