Re: Apartments?

> > > I thought the idea of the apartments was that it persisted
permanently?
> > > I got a "permanent" one, and dumped stuff in it, and saved out my
player
> > > and then killed the server.
> > > On restarting everything, the apartment was empty.
> > > Is this how it's supposed to work?  What good are apartments then?
> > > PeterM
> >
> > which apartment you mean? the permanent apartments in Scorn have
worked all
> > fine in all the servers I have tested. only the pocket realitys don't
work
> > since when you enter one and come back you end up in an apartment
having no
> > extender and beeing on the wrong side of the extended wall so you
can't exit
> > without word of recall.

> The permanent apartments, like I said.
> Is it possible I didn't give the server enough time to save out
> the apartment map?

Well, I did notice this odd behavior a few times: the first time a
player uses the map, it doesn't get saved properly.  Once they access
the map, then it gets removed from memory, then accessed again, it
starts saving properly.  I haven't tried very hard to reproduce this
issue though.

Regarding signal handling: If you kill the server with a SIGINT (-2)
or SIGTERM (-15), it should save out all loaded maps.  SIGKILL (-9)
stops it cold, nothing gets saved.  I've turned off trapping of core
dump signals on my server, though, since execution of any emergency
handling code obfuscates the last few stack frames almost to the point
of uselessness, especially register variables.