Re: CF: BUG: Morks Tower

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 08:11:59PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:
> Jan Echternach wrote:
> > I don't think players should always be able to kill everything and then
> > just push a handle instead of talking to a NPC, which often requires

>  OTOH, I don't think that monsters should be impossible to kill - maybe
> incredibly difficult, but not impossible.

That's not really a counterargument.  With '@connected' implemented, it
is still possible that all monsters can be killed, but the map designer
can choose to write a quest in a way that requires the player to talk
to NPCs.

>  But this allows several ways to solve puzzles.  In addition to #1, perhaps the

'@connected' would allow proper implementation of #1, and map desingers
could better restrict the possible ways if they want to.  It doesn't
remove any alternatives.

> monster can grant some exp award to the player (in real life terms, this could
> be explained that the monster has taught the player some trick/skills).  I think
> having multiple ways will make the game more interesting, not less.

Giving experience is a simple extension of the '@connected' code:
Instead of a single 'connected' value, each @match has a list of simple
actions like '@connected' and '@grant_experience'.

An action like '@pull_lever <number>' could even cause the NPC to
trigger a handle with the specified 'connected' value only if it is
standing on it, which would be the ideal solution for Mork - if Mork
has left the place where he was standing, because he tried to kill a
player or because he was frightened, he doesn't open the door anymore,
and the player must take alternative #3.

A real script would be better, of course.  ;-)

--
Jan