Re: CF: Map login points

Michael Toennies wrote:

> Hi
>
> A very important thing is needed when we work on the maps.Login & start
> points.
>
> A start point its simple the point you start a map, but a login point is
> where you appear after
> a con lost or a server crash. At this point, the program autosave you also
> on nosafe points.

 Note that the start points (as listed in crossedit) really are not necessary
anymore - I think all the maps have the exits linked the right way.

> This is a big problem in may maps.
> (much deleted about sitting in treasure rooms after they reset and the like removed)
(much also removed about various ways to deal with this)

 What is the problem of just using the start points (perhaps should be renamed)
if a player logs off improperly?

 for most maps, this will just pop you back to the starting point of the map.
This works fine for treasure room problems.

 For maps like raffle where doing that doesn't help, these values could instead
point to off area/secret area with the 'emergency escape hatch' type of thing -
that is just an exit that takes you back to the surface.  Tower of sokoban uses
that, as you can get in a position where you are trapped.

 This may give a player a sort of freebie if they are about to die - they can
get out of the combat.  OTOH, with lag & delays, that doesn't seem like a very
sure bet.

 The only map this may not work really well is something like the crystal quest,
where after grabbing the crystal, getting out is the hard part.  But in these
cases, you can then go halfway (make those coordinates halfway between the
treasure and the exit).

 I won't deny that Michael's way is probably suprerior, but I am somewhat
interested in something that works pretty easily right now and doesn't require a
significant update to all the maps - instead, it just requires updating the map
header to have valid coordinates.

 A further refinment, which I am not sure if it breaks anything, is to only
shift the player back to those coordinates if they are on unholy/non magical
ground.  So if they are in the middle of a big combat, it doesn't help them
out.  Unfortunately, I don't think all treasure rooms are set with those tiles,
so goes back to a lot of updates.