CF: Modification to the CVS repository

Hello,

  I've hacked the CVS version on the crossfire repository host,
boltzmann.eecs.berkeley.edu, so that it won't require successful creation
of a read-lock in the CVS dir to perform operations like:

cvs update
cvs checkout

  I did this to allow readonly access via ssh.

  There are a couple side effects:

1)  cvs update/cvs checkout *might* get corrupt stuff
2)  you might get error messages like this:
    "can't create read lock"...

Let me know if I should undo this hack because it is causing problems.

PeterM