TCLUG Development Archive

Re: [TCLUG-DEVEL:270] CVS questions

Thanks everyone for the responses. :-)

--- "John R. Sheets" <dusk@ravendusk.org> wrote:
</snip>
> What do you want to do version tracking on?  Source code or
> distributed
> binaries?  If you want to make the checks during compile-time, then

Source code and non-distributed binaries.

> yes,
> you could use autoconf/automake.  If you just want an easy interface
> the information (i.e. for customers), you could use some sort of web
> interface (e.g., PHP).  If you want to track it at install-time, you
> should simply use the native package systems, like Debian's.

This would not be end-user visible.

> So really, we'd need a little more info about what you're trying to
> achieve.

We have a bunch of java servlet apps.

Some of the classes and packages are architectural, and used by a
number of other classes and packages.  (DB connection pooling, html
generation, etc.)  They are generally well packaged, but crufty.

Some of the classes are not as architectural, but are used by multiple
apps.  We're working on packaging them better.

As things change, some of the newer apps need more/different services
from the base layers.  Sometimes the changes break older apps that are
still running and necessary.

Currently, the management of this environment is done via spaghetti
classpaths, and cruft creation.

We need to be able to set up the architectural packages with multiple
versions, so that we can link the correct versions of the various
packages in when we are compiling the apps.

Also, we need better access to the versioned source of the packages, so
we can debug the production/test/demo version without trying to roll
back the development to the time when it was compiled.

</snip>

> John

</snip>