Re: [TCLUG:5065] Computer turn on (won't)

New evidence: I took a wiff of my power supply fan and it emitts the same
smell so there are two possibilities I can think of:

1) Fan died and started over heating and made bad smell. Eventually the
power supply died from overheating. (I hope this is the case -- any place
to buy a power supply new Northfield -- I don't have a car)

2) Fan died and started over heating and made bad smell. Eventually
something died that caused the power to go off and stay off. What could
this be? When a computer starts to overheat, what is first to go? I think
that a short on a card or the motherboard could kill the power, but I
don't know. Is there a way to force the power supply to turn on (unplug it
from everything first) to see if it works?

Also, if, say, my ram went dead would the power supply go on and then I
would get some beeps coresponding to ram error or are ATX cases to
'advanced' to do this?

Thanks,

Ben
lueyb@carleton.edu