Re: [TCLUG:5544] Anonymous Surfing

  Hi,

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Rick Hendrickson wrote:

> Gosh, this may seem simple but I'm not sure what direction to head in...
> I would like to be able to use my dialup and surf anonymously.
> I think this means that I would want to set up a proxy server and then somehow
> send all my http requests through it. Is this possible to do and how might I
> get started?

I think you might want to take a look at Squid. It's a really good proxy
server. You can probably get binaries for Linux, or compile it yourself.
One of it's configuration options is "http_annonimizer" which can be set
to off, standard and paranoid.

Once installed, you simply tell your netscape to use it as a proxy server.

I had the same server when I was using dialup - a smallish (100MB) proxy
cache can dramatically increase your surfing speed.

-Yaron