Re: [TCLUG:5507] Hubs

David Christian wrote:

> Thanks, I ended up using them--seems impossible to find any local place that
> sells these cables.
>
> Here's another question related to my splitting computers problem...I've got
> two computers I want to use the network.   I happen to have a hub as well,
> and thought it would be as simple as hooking the network connection and my
> two comps up to the hub.  Unfortunately, (probably for some obvious design
> reason) the hub doesn't recognize the network connection, or won't
> communicate with it, or however this works.  Does this mean I'm going to
> have to make my linux box into a router as well (I also happen to have an
> extra network card lying around, so it's not that big of a deal if that's
> the case, although I imagine there will be a loss in speed.)
> <snip>

Your network connection is connected to another hub.  Most hubs have one port
that can be set up as crossover or straight through.  The standard computer to
hub connection uses a straight through cable and the hub does crossover
internally.  To connect your hub to the upstream hub you need to either use the
port that can be configured and set it to straight through or, if your hub does
not have that capability, you will need a crossover cable.

Larry