Re: [TCLUG:5592] New Laptop

Check out the Linux PCMCIA home page for information on your laptop.
Quoth the author:
"Early versions of the pcmica modules and kernel versions less then 2.2.X
have a problem with the Toshiba pcmica hardware. To remedy
this problem you need to download the lastest version of the pcmcia
modules and the latest kernel.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do NOT start up the PCMCIA services at startup when you do
the inital install (unless you actually have a PCMCIA
card). When the machine boots up for the first time (and you have pcmica
servcies starting at bootup), the machine will hang trying to
probe the devices. You can get around this hangup by either inserting or
ejecting a card. This problem will be solved when you compile
and install the new kernel and pcmcia services.

I have both a 3COM 10/100 nic card and a zoom 56k modem. After installing
the new kernel/pcmica modules both of these cards were
recoginized and configured as soon as the machine booted up. Nothing
special was need here."

Go to http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/ for
instructions on the ever-evolving database of successful Linux
installations on laptops.

Peter Lukas