RE: [TCLUG:7261] Assistance (quicken)

Replying to multiple messages on this thread:

Jim Walters wrote:

> I popped into the middle of this thread, so sorry if this is old info.  Have
> you tried CBB?  It looks alot like Quicken and lets you manage multiple
> accounts, which can be linked with transactions.  The screen looks alot like
> a checkbook register.  It is at:

Turns out it comes with RH/Mandrake 6.0 too, which I ended up with in
order to get libs to run gnucash!!  It's not a bum deal, and looks like
it might turn out to be the best deal.

> And looky here, developed right here in MN!

Well, as long as it implements MN grown software, but not banking
practices, then I'll put that in the "pros" column.

</RANT ON>
The banking industry here seems to have forgotten that it's their
*privilege* to make money by keeping other peoples' -- that and that
there is no such thing as a banking *product* (other than, say, check
registers!  Anyway, turns out DEC's credit union is more stable than
DEC, so I'll just keep my dough safely on the East Coast, where bankers
have not yet been replaced by marketing yuppies!)
</RANT OFF>

> I have been using it for a couple of years, now.  I like it just fine for
> the simple stuff.

Thanks for the endorsement, Jim.

---

Tim Wilson wrote:

> Unfortunately, I don't believe the older versions of Quicken are Y2k
> ready. They may crash and burn next year.

True, but that's really only a problem if you're trying to track data
across the line.  I doubt that most people need an integration time
longer than about 6 months on their checkbook, so if you wait until next
summer, you could use all those old, non-bloated versions again.  And
the stock tracking and all that won't matter anyway when the depression
comes!<G>

-----

Ben Luey wrote:

> Is there a way to import quicken data into cbb? (I'd like to try cbb out,
> but all my stuff is in quicken).

Yes -- one of the few menu commands is to import and export .qif files.
I just downloaded account histories for the last 8 months from DCU and
will hopefully just be able to import them into cbb and be up and
running with 0 data entry!  I'll let you know if it fails...

---

Best,

Phil Mendelsohn