Re: [TCLUG:7397] Installing Linux on 4MB RAM

Daniel Mahler wrote:

> A friend got a freebee Toshiba Satellite T1910.
> It is not worthwhile doing any kind of upgrades on it,
> It has a single FD and a modem.
> My friend also has a parallel port CDROM.
>
> As far as I know Linux (without X11) can run in 4mb;
> the problem is the installation.
> Does anyone know of a Linux distribution that will install on such a
> machine?
> Alternatively, what does it take roll your own distribution?
>
> thanks
> Daniel

Check out the linux router project.  It's a setup that runs with a small
resource requirement.

http://www.linuxrouter.org

 Linux Router Project (LRP) is a networking-centric micro-distribution
of Linux. LRP is small enough to fit on a single 1.44MB floppy disk, and
makes building and maintaining routers, access servers, thin servers,
thin clients, network appliances, and typically embedded systems next to
trivial. LRP is the premier 'single floppy' linux, with a very large and
growing user base.

 It uses a modular packaging system, and has the the distinct feel of
its much bigger cousin, Debian GNU/Linux.

Eric