Re: [TCLUG:7556] bash programming basic

> 2:	If a guy wanted to return the input from a command (such as 'date')
> to a script variable, what would be the best way to do it?  I seem to
> have hit a brain block on this one.  (I know -- it's a pretty newbie
> question.)

There are two ways to do it, they're both mentioned in man bash under the
"Command Substitution" section.

myvar=$(date)

-or-

myvar=`date`

If you use the second form, notice that those are backticks, rather than
apostrophes.  On a PC keyboard, that's the character under the ~ .  The
first way seems to be the preferred way to do it.

Chris