Root Process Control [was Re: [TCLUG:7556]]

Tim Wilson wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:

> > 1:    Any favorite references -- books that one shouldn't be without?
>
> I've got the O'Reilly Bash book. I haven't had time to really absorb it in
> depth, but what I've seen looks quite good.

Got that book -- good reference, thanks Tim.  This really should be
included in the distributions, if you ask me.  Between this and "Linux
in a nutshell" (also O'Reilly) it's better documentation for users than
most commercial stuff!

NEW QUESTION:

I have several processes that run in the background on the system, but
I'd like to suspend them when making unattended backups every night.  I
so far have not been able to find the way to do this -- I can't even do
this manually as root.  What do others do as far as suspending processes
and resuming them for backups??

Thanks,

Phil Mendelsohn