High Ping Times and Dropped Packets

Hi,

I'm running Slackware 4.0 on a machine with two Pentium 133s. I performed
a fresh install a week ago and had everything running perfectly.

Yesterday I thought I'd try recompiling my kernel to include SMP support.
I also compiled the driver for my scsi card (and Adaptec 2940) into the
kernel. The machine also has two network card in it, a 3c905b (eth1) and a
3c503 (eth0). I load those as modules.

Since I've compiled the kernel I've been getting really poor performance
out of the 3c503. When I do an ifconfig, it shows that it is dropping a
lot of packets for rx, 1614 for eth0 compared to none for eth1. The ping
times are also pretty bad, when I try to ping my internal machines the
time shows 9628.2 ms. Before the recompile it was about 200 ms.

One thing I've had to change was that to load the module for the 3c503, I
have to do "modprobe 3c503 io=0x300 irq=9". I used to just do "modprobe
3c503", but it seems like if I don't do it the new way the scsi card takes
the irq address the 3c503 wants.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm not sure what to try next.

Thanks.