Mp3 box WAS: Multias and such

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Jim wrote:

>   hey what do you have for a mp3 machine
>
>                     grogon

I'm building a dedicated headless mp3 box with an old pentium-MMX 233 I
have. I ordered an Enlight 7200 desktop case to hold it in, which I am
going to paint black, and a black CD-ROM drive, and a Hoontech 4D Wave NX
soundcard with digital out. I also ordered an irman infrared reciever
(they're only $35! And so cool!) to control it. Later I'm going to get an
LCD (or VFD) screen to display the mp3 information on it.

For the OS, I'm probably going to use one of the really small Linux
distros, like muLinux or the Linux Router Project, modified for my needs.

All in all, it won't be the holy grail of dedicated mp3 boxes, the LC-DAT
(http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jmesterh/lcdat/) but it will be pretty
cool.

Luke