ARP problems w/Axis Print Server

Problem
-------
I cannot ARP the Axis Print Server from my Linux machine (antilles)

Assessment
----------
The Axis Print Server can be assigned an IP address from
two separate Linux machines (chewie and cfo) with the arp command:

	arp -H ether -s <hostname> <mac address> temp

	* where hostname = axis-1 and mac address = 00:40:8C:1A:02:1A

and get a successful ping from each to the print server. I can also
arp the print server on Linux machine "c", but I cannot ping it.  The
correct record shows up in the arp table...

root@antilles:/etc[647]# arp -v -a axis-1
axis-1.rogers.ltiflex.com (192.168.1.35) at 00:40:8C:1A:02:1A [ether]
on eth0

...but the host is still unable to reach the server.  Hosts chewie and
antilles and the print server are all attached to the same switching
hub.  cfo is on a shared hub that is cascaded to the switch.  The
hosts can ping eachother and chewie and cfo can ping the print server,
so we can assume that the network connections are fine.

I upgraded the kernel on antilles from 2.2.8 to 2.2.11 (compiled with
glibc).  chewie is using 2.2.10 (glibc2.1.2) and cfo is using 2.2.9
(glibc2.1.1).  The only difference I can think of (although it
shouldn't impact anything) is that antilles is running xinetd and the
other two are running inetd.  Since I'm assuming arp isn't a service,
which inetd I run shouldn't matter.

Please help!  Antilles is my dedicated lpd server, so I'd love to get
this working...

Later!

    ^chewie

| Chad Walstrom           mailto:chewie@wookimus.net |
| ICQ: 9985127           http://wookimus.net/~chewie |
 Need a new truck?  Check out my '97 Explorer 2-door
   Sport at http://wookimus.net/~chewie/truck.html