Re: [TCLUG:7864] RADIUS vs TACACS+

  Hi,

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Bob Tanner wrote:

> In the war of security, I am always looking for better "weapons". On several
> of the security mailing lists I have seen RADIUS vs TACACS+ flame-fests. I
> personally have expirence with RADIUS.
>
> Anyone have expirence with both and want to give a compare and contrast
> between the 2?

We used to run both TACACS and RADIUS at my old job (an ISP) because we
had several terminal servers that required one or the other, but couldn't
use both.

Anyway, TACACS was missing a lot of the features we needed, wouldn't write
logs correctly, etc. I also have something personally against ausing an
abbreviation that nobody can remember the full meaning of!

There's also 3 different kinds of TACACS, and I the people who sold us the
term servers never knew what kind it was, whether there was a server for
our versin of Unix, etc.

The Cistron Radius server was easy to setup and install, logged
correctly and compiled under DEC Unix.

-Yaron