RE: [TCLUG:7538] printing (lpr/lpd?) problems

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

>         if I could get it to print to a file; I suppose I could
> try to kludge a sed script to remove the annoying ^L character at
> the end, then print it. this is a bit beyond my understanding,
> tho... at HPWorld there was a vendor selling something called
> 'EasySpooler'. kind of pricey ($1200 for a 6-printer license;
> their minimum); but from what they told me, it's a heck of a lot
> better than lpr/lpd. (doesn't block all queues when one jams,
> etc). they've got a Linux version now; and I just talked to one of
> their sales droids. I asked if they had a 'light' version; for
> fewer printers. he said they were in discussions about what to do
> for the Linux version; that perhaps they were going to treat it
> differently from their other versions (for NT, HP/UX, Solaris,
> etc). He wasn't very clear on what the possibilities were, tho. (I
> don't think they really know themselves, either). he said there'll
> be a trial/demo version available on their website within a week
> or two.
>
> how difficult is it to install lprNG?

Not too difficult, really.  The printcap remains the same. :)  I
hadn't really noticed any difference other than how you use lpc.
There are a lot more features in lprng than lpr.  Anyway, good luck!
I hope it solves your problem.  Currently, my printerserver is still
running lpr/lpd, but I'll be switching over to lprng shortly, as soon
as I make sure it works on my workstation.

Later!

    ^chewie

| Chad Walstrom           mailto:chewie@wookimus.net |
| ICQ: 9985127           http://wookimus.net/~chewie |
 Need a new truck?  Check out my '97 Explorer 2-door
   Sport at http://wookimus.net/~chewie/truck.html