Joy to sorrow: The udmsearch story

Well, I found my database backend search engine. It's called udmsearch and at
first I was very happy. It's EXTREMELY fast, has cgi, php, and perl frontends.

To make this even better it uses MySQL (amongst others) as the database. I was
more concerned about speed and space, then accuracy, so I was very impressed.

Udmsearch using MySQL does take a more disk space then htdig (which is what I
use now), but having the CPU cycles burn on a different machine is a bonus
expecially when it is not your web server.

Bad news is that I cannot get it to index the bodies of html files. Only the
META tags, <title></title> and filename itself.

Since the authors are Russian the language, culture, timezone barriers have
hampered the troubleshooting.

But, I thought I would announce it here to get more open source people looking
at it so maybe this bug can be fixed. :-)

The link to Russia is slow, so I am mirroring the site locally.

http://udmsearch.real-time.com

Several links are broken, because I do not mirror the Russian specific stuff,
but the gist of it is there.

I am buried in Y2K stuff, so I have not had time to really look at the
problem, but the more people that do, the better.

Later.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700