Re: [TCLUG:11287] Remote logins...

> That should be ok.  If you're on your local network then people can't
> sniff packets unless they somehow get to the inside.  As far as logging
> in from outside, I'd suggest ssh, there are versions for windows too.
> There's a plugin for TeraTerm that I use and it works rather well.

A little tip for those of you that use TeraTermSSH and want to securely
transfer files -- use ZModem (or any of the other transfer protocols
that are usually put in Linux distributions).  To download a file from a
system you are connected to, do 'sz <file>' ('sz' stands for Send
Zmodem), then TeraTerm will either autodetect an incoming ZModem
download, or you'll have to kick it by going up to the menu and finding
the right option (I'm not on a Windows box right now, so I don't know
where that is..)

I'm not exactly sure how you would upload a file, but I think you first
run 'rz' (Receive Zmodem), then go up to the upload w/ZModem option and
find the file you want to upload..

A bonus to this approach instead of using scp -- you can dig through
multiple layers of connections really easily (i.e. you're connected
through a firewall or two and can't directly transfer stuff).  With scp,
you have to hop a file from computer to computer.

Of course, if you're happy just using FTP, then this info is probably
useless ;-)

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Linux: because a PC is a
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   terrible thing to waste