Re: [TCLUG:11288] 2.0.xx kernels and DHCP

> I use a Mediaone cable modem to serve my home network. I have been
> running Debian for about a year but suddenly Debian no longer works.
> It loads up my eth0 and eth1, it starts up DHCP and gets an IP
> address, but then any time I try to access the net it says that
> the network is unreachable.

One of my friends had a problem with DHCP on his RedHat box about two
years ago.  The DHCP client was still pretty buggy back then, and it
ended up barfing all over the place because the DHCP server on his
network wouldn't give him an IP that resolved to a hostname.  My
friend's box would query the DHCP server so fast (He had a fast Pentium
II at the time, and the DHCP server was probably an older box running
NT) that the DHCP server crashed, thus causing anyone who turned on
their computer while the server was down to not recieve an IP address.
The network admins finally shut down my friend's etherjack for a while
until they could see what was going on.  It still took them a year to
get the DNS entries set up properly.  In the meantime, Linux's DHCP
client had gotten a lot better and didn't cause the whole network to go
down.

Hmm.  I guess that didn't have much of a point -- mostly just an amusing
anecdote.  (One of my better anecdotes, sadly..)

Anyway, I suppose the point is "Try the newest DHCP client you can"
Your network may have a new DHCP server that doesn't properly
communicate with the client you have on that system.

However, I'm really thinking that the true problem is a misconfigured
gateway or something along those lines.

Hmmm..  I think I need some caffiene -- I'm not awake yet (sorry for
rambling..)

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Murphy's law needs to be