Re: [TCLUG:11328] connect to network without ethernet?

Dave Erickson wrote:

> Scott wrote:

...<snip>...

> The machine uses the MCA bus, therefore making the use of a PCI ethernet
> card impossible. Right?

 Correct. You need an MCA card to fit that bus. Last time I was at MPC
in Eagan (http://www.materialsprocessing.com/), they had loads of MCA
stuff in stock. Most of the MicroChannel cards were priced in the '3 for
$5' range as I recall. You might want to call ahead to check on
availability. I've also run into varying amounts of MCA stuff at Midwest
Electronics in Minneapolis.

 I've got a couple of MicroChannel machines here; one running Linux
(Slackware), the other is multiple boot between OS/2 and Win95. I bought
one of them new the year my daughter was born ('87), the other one I
scrounged up at a flea market for $5. One of the primary faults of these
machines is that they last forever and I don't have the heart to discard
a working machine. Someday I suppose my wife will insist that either the
machines or I must go; I suppose it will all come down to what kind of
day I'm having when that happens ;-)

Steve Horejsi
shorejsi@skypoint.com