group name length limit

Does anyone know if there's a length limit for group names? When I do a
groupadd with a name longer than eight characters it complains that the
name is too long, but it still adds it to the /etc/group file.

I could be wrong, but it looks like long group names are okay as far as
file permissions go. I created a group named 'longgroupname' and touched a
file as root, then assigned write permissions to the longgroupname group. I
was able to write to it as a normal user belonging to that group.

I don't know if that was a valid test or not. Any comments?

Chad Juettner