more Samba strangeness: group name expansion

        I set up a group of users for this directory; and I want to be able
to specify the list of allowable users with the parameter
        users = @sys

        however, I can't connect to that share, even though I'm part of that
group. if I enumerate the users, however, like so:
        users = admin, betty

        I can connect to it and operate on it normally.
        the man page for smb.conf says that putting an @<groupname> in that
parameter will expand to all the names in that group.
        indeed, it does seem to take a good long time when trying to
authenticate; as if trying all the names in that group. however, Windows
always says 'password is incorrect'.

        I hate having to maintain two separate and identical lists of users;
so this is a problem I'd like to fix. I'll have to experiment and see if the
problem exists in samba 2.0.5 as well.

thanks,
Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.