RE: [TCLUG:11512] Re: RH Linux (Was:[TCLUG:11507] Help with NE2000/Linksys16 LAN Card)

>         I personally was very happy with RH5.1 ...
>
>         RH6.1 has been a very different experience. 6.0 seemed a lot like
> 5.x; the installer was marginally better... [tale of 6.1 horror deleted]

This seems to be the pattern with RedHat -- the x.0 release is stable, but
flawed, x.1 has serious issues, and x.2 is a stable, sane release.  Even 4.x
followed that pattern, if memory serves.

I've generally stuck to RH distributions here at work (the boss likes them
because they have Recognized Corporate Backing), but I don't even try to
load the odd-numbered ones any more.  Call me superstitious.  However, I've
got a brand-new P3 I'm setting up dual boot on at home, and I think I'll be
giving Debian a spin, being as so many people seem to be awfully fond of it.
If anyone's interested in my opinion, I'd be happy to give it out after I've
finished converting.

> [Red Hat] has the most popular packaging
> system; and the doco in the box is some of the best I've seen. it
> also has a big name, which makes it a good 'corporate' distro.

Pardon my pet peeve, but where the hell do you get a second "o" out of
"documentation"?  (Or "distribution", for that matter, although at least
"distro" sounds a little like something you might actually say aloud if you
were aiming for brevity).  Not that I've anything against jargon, but that's
just weird and grating...

--
Eric Hillman
UNIX Sysadmin