Re: [TCLUG:11551] Hardware Question

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Dave Erickson wrote:

> I am looking for advice about how much hardware is required for a web
> server. It will probably be connected to the Internet with an DSL @
> 768kps.
>
> I was planning on using this server to host several web sites and to
> process financial transactions in some automated (SQL?) fashion.
>
> How much hardware would you recommend? I know it will vary but what
> would it take before the DSL was swamped? I plan on running Apache and
> FTP services on this box.
>
> Will this do?:
>
> Dual PII 450 w/256 MB RAM

Yes, but add SCSI.  Do not use IDE harddrives if you're going to be
hosting sites.  IDE has a bad trait that makes the disk useless if
something happens to a sector on the drive.  SCSI simply marks the bad
section and writes around it.

Also, consider adding a tape drive to the machine.  DLT or DSS tapes work
nicely and they're not too expensive.

As far as bandwidth is concerned, you can add the Apache throttling
features to keep your web serving bandwidth to a dull roar, around 512
would do it.  Leaving you some for ssh'ing in for management and some for
your FTP serving.

Chad Walstrom                         mailto:chewie@wookimus.net
a.k.a ^chewie, gunnarr               http://wookimus.net/~chewie

   Gnupg = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD