Re: [TCLUG:11577] Security Concerns:

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Christopher Palmer wrote:

> OpenBSD is a shoe-in for this, more so than a Linux distribution.

     Anyone know if the openbsd kids improved the process of
installing for 2.6?  2.5 was quite painful, almost as bad as
debian.

> Compare Qmail with Postfix. Both are good; don't choose one before you've
> tried both.

     I'm a postfix person.  My server is running suse 6.2
right now (until it moves to openbsd) and postfix came with
it.  Terribly easy to set up and admin, can't imagine why
anyone would put up with sendmail after trying them both.

> Why have X on a secure system at all?

     I'll have to agree with this statement.  If it's going
to be a server of some sort, then leave X off of it
entirely.  If it's going to be a workstation and you want it
to be secure, leave ssh running and deny all other
connections from everything outside your domain.  All the
firewall stuff can get loaded onto another box.

Scott
--
The sweet things don't stick around but the bullshit lasts forever.
 -Nicole Blackman