Re: [TCLUG:11699] Messages As Attachments [was Re: [TCLUG:11633] Ipaddress timouts]

On Thu, Dec 30, 1999 at 12:26:25AM -0600, Scott Dier - dieman wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
>> As it turns out - Eric is the exception and the rest of us are the
>> rule.  GnuPG is not compliant yet [with the OpenPGP standard].  I am
>> not sure why -
>
> /me wields cluebat
>
> Um. you mean *MUTT* is not OpenPGP compliant in the way it packages
> PGP signatures with messages.
>
> Thank you for remembering how this all works.

	Exactly.  Perhaps GnuPG is not fully OpenPGP compliant, but that
doesn't have anything to do with seeing the signatures as attachments.

	If your mailer doesn't understand multipart/signed well enough
to give you the unsigned text without having to open an attachment, it's
time for a new mailer.

	As to why I sign everything...

	Who knows, someone could break into my computer tomorrow and
untraceably send all kinds of stuff as me.  I've had that kind of thing
happen before.

	It's also a way of spreading my signature far and wide, so it's
harder to forge.

	And lastly, it's to spark discussions like these, so people
suddenly have a much better idea of what GPG/PGP and signing are about.

	I see this as something like the ! path vs. @ wars, or gif vs.
png.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature