Re: [TCLUG:4144] No boot - Drastic Actions

> I seems like there isn't an easy fix for my crashing at boot computer, so
> I'm ready to take more active measures. But before I do anything potentially
> stupid, I'd like to make sure my actions sound safe. I really really don't
> want to lose my data.
>
> My Plan:
>
> I have an unused ext2 partition, /dev/hda9. boot with rescue disk, mount my
> root partition (hda1) and hda9.
> cp -A /hda1 /hda9

You're going to have to give cp a -p flag to preserve simlinks...  or else
it will copy recursively through your links and you'll have twice as much data
as you started with.  I've actually tried this...  It may hang when it tries to
copy /dev.  You have a lot of partitions, so assuming you have separate /usr and
/home partitions, just copy important config files to your home directory and
reinstall.

Gabe